Wednesday, August 10, 2005

BIG BLACK NIX

And the winner of the first annual Big Black Nix Award is: Clive Christian.

Here's an excitingly priced line of perfumes! I approached it with absolutely no caution, picked up the quasi-Guerlain atomizers (read: Guerlain re-fill atomizers, minus the Russian Orthodox tops), and spritzed away at both X and No. 1 eaux de parfum, which retail for $210.00 and $600.00 respectively. And I put 'em right back down, because they reminded me of Estee Lauder. Not the woman, but her scents--Knowing in particular. For whatever reason, both of these had that signature 1970s Lauder accord that is the hallmark of Estee, Aliage, Azuree...and Knowing.

And I didn't even feel disappointed, because something about this line has always failed to excite any interest in me (nothing to do with the prohibitive cost either; the PR didn't win me over), so they were merely shrug-scents that went back to their little mirrored vanity display, but my kitchen now smells of the cracked-lip, Tangee red Knowing, which is a handkerchief scent nonpareil and dreadful on me.

XX Two Big Black Nixes. I wasn't even interested enough to pump out 1872.